Learning Targets for Short Stories
1. I will identify the plot structure of a short story and a summary using the appropriate terms.
2. I will locate the conflict of the categorize it as internal conflict or external conflict.
3. I will define and identify theme.
4. I will support my theme decision with textual data.
5. I will develop ideas about characters from a text and connect them to the importance of the text as a whole.
6. I will identify a story's protagonist and antagonist and define these terms.
7. I will distinguish between characters who are static and dynamic, round and flat and identify why the character fits the given category.
8. I will identify different points of view.
9. I will analyze the author's narrative choices.
10. I will locate symbols in a text, discuss their significance, and relate them to the work as a whole.
11. I will describe the tone(s) in a narrative.
12. I will identify shift(s) and the purpose of the shift.
13. I will locate different types and uses of irony and explain.
14. I will give examples of how diction creates an effect in a narrative.
15. I will locate and explain literary allusions in texts.
16. Following the reading of a text, I will identify foreshadowing.