Dear District 108 Parents/Guardians:
As Governor Tim Walz stated in his news conference this morning, “We are in unprecedented
Students in Central Public Schools will not be coming to school on Monday, March 16th
through Friday, March 27th. There will be no educational instruction during this
time. Instruction will resume on Monday, March 30th. It is possible that the instruction
will be distance learning.
The Governor, MN Department of Health and the MN Department of Education are requiring
districts to close by Wednesday, March 18th through Friday, March 27th due to the spread of
COVID-19 (coronavirus). That time is meant for school districts to develop plans on how to
provide distance learning if that is required. Please know that our school district’s decision to
close immediately is based on the fact that the safety and well-being of our students and staff is our top priority.
Our educators will be giving thoughtful planning to our distance learning plan over the course of this next week, offering careful considerations for students in a variety of areas, including
students receiving special educational services, multilingual learners, students experiencing
homelessness, and students who rely on meals served at school. Please know that our district is working on a plan to make lunches available to our families and we will be communicating that plan in the near future.
Many questions remain that we have following this directive from state officials. The situation is changing rapidly, please bear with us as we develop plans for the potential of providing distance learning.
We will be opening schools at some point to parents/students to retrieve educational
materials and personal items. Until that time, all buildings are closed to the public. We
will let everyone know that plan when it is in place.
Many more details will be forthcoming but we wanted to get this message to you as soon as
possible following the Governor’s news conference so you can start preparing your family for
this significant change in your daily routines.
• Students will be out of school on Monday, March 16th through Friday,
• Instruction will resume on Monday, March 30th. It is possible that the
instruction will be distance learning.
• Details of the distance learning plan will be distributed when they are
• Student activities and athletics along with all Community Ed practices,
enrichment classes, Early Childhood and preschool classes are suspended
at this time.
• Kids’ Company will continue to provide child care for all registered families
the week of March 16th through March 20th, in efforts to help families plan.
• Beginning the week of March 23rd, Kids’ Company will only be open for emergency workers, including: health care staff; first responders;firefighters; correctional services; essential court personnel; MN State Veterans Home staff; state and local public health agency employees; MNsure Navigators; County financial/eligibility workers; county case managers; or any county staff in emergency management or health and human services.
Once again, the information surrounding this situation is ever-changing and very fluid.
We appreciate your flexibility and understanding during this time.
Central Public Schools